From SPSS to PPT
Leo
2006-02-02 12:51:09 UTC
Hello guys,

I need a solution to automate our slides production, a solution that
integrates data from SPSS to MS PowerPoint presentations. Is there any
tool from SPSS or independent vendors to move data from SPSS to live MS
PPT charts? (not pictures of SPSS graphs)

Currently, I use some macros to move data from SPSS datasets to
Excel, and then from Excel to Powerpoint graphs. This is very time
consuming :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Leo Soares
Tom
2006-02-02 23:21:44 UTC
Leo wrote...
Post by Leo
Hello guys,
I need a solution to automate our slides production, a solution that
integrates data from SPSS to MS PowerPoint presentations. Is there any
tool from SPSS or independent vendors to move data from SPSS to live MS
PPT charts? (not pictures of SPSS graphs)
Currently, I use some macros to move data from SPSS datasets to
Excel, and then from Excel to Powerpoint graphs. This is very time
consuming :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
this is probably the general approach I would take. If it is time-consuming, it
may be that you need to rationalise your script. Do you mean CPU time, or human
time? You might also consider generating your charts in Excel, and importing the
GIFs into PPT. Do you really need to edit the data in PPT, or do you dislike the
SPSS output?
Leo
2006-02-03 11:44:10 UTC
Thanks for your reply, Tom.

I mean human time. Could you imagine 200 slides/week? Then, double it!
:-)

Yes, SPSS output is horrible, but as I have time series indexes, I
really need to edit the data in PPT. Daily, my team collect performance
data from my oracle database. After some, error checking tasks, I need
to perform different statistics analysis and report them once a month.

I found different softwares: Rosetta Studio, E-Tabs, Report Direct and
DataPoint. And maybe one fot these could help me to speed up the
process. But Im still thinking about using some tailor made scripts and
macros.

If you have any suggestion or information about these sofwares please
feel free to contact me.

Leo
SPSS output?
JKPeck
2006-02-03 13:06:05 UTC
I don't understand your work flow. Are you using Ppt as a data entry
forms system? What happens to the data after they are edited in Ppt?
Do you send them back to SPSS for statistical analysis? If they
originate in a database, what do you do in SPSS before passing the data
to Ppt?

You can save SPSS data files directly in Excel format with SAVE
TRANSLATE, and, if you use the SPSS ODBC driver, you can read SAV files
directly into Excel (probably Ppt, too).

If it is output you are passing through, again, SPSS can save this in
various formats via the OMS syntax mechanism or with the scriptable
Viewer Export mechanism. The latter can write directly to Excel or Ppt
formats.

And with SPSS 14, you can drive the Viewer exports from PROGRAM syntax
using the viewer module on the SPSS Code Center.
Leo
2006-02-13 18:54:47 UTC
Thanks, JKpeck. My apologies for this late response

My work flow follows:

(i) Collect data from database. SPSS gets these from Oracle.
(ii) Create cross tabs within SPSS (Tables).
(iii) Export cross tabs to Excel.
(iv) In Excel, design charts for each table.
(v) In Ppt, paste Excel charts as links
(vi) In Ppt, edit design features.

My answers to your questions:

1) Are you using Ppt as a data entry forms system?
No

2) What happens to the data after they are edited in Ppt?
Today, nothing. Its common to aggregate different variables as a new
variable. This is done in Excel whenever there are only 2 simple
variabels, but on more complex situations, SPSS is used to create new
variables.

Other example includes performing t-tests (SPSS), and charting colored
arrows close to bars where there are differences between 2 rates (PPT).

3) Do you send them back to SPSS for statistical analysis?
No.

Im not sure I fully understand your statement

"If it is output you are passing through, again, SPSS can save this in
various formats via the OMS syntax mechanism or with the scriptable
Viewer Export mechanism. The latter can write directly to Excel or Ppt
formats.
And with SPSS 14, you can drive the Viewer exports from PROGRAM syntax
using the viewer module on the SPSS Code Center. "

It would be great to create custom charts (defining colors, types etc)
from a scriptable way within SPSS.

Thanks
Leo
JKPeck
2006-02-14 14:09:25 UTC
You can create the charts via standard SPSS syntax (any version) or,
in SPSS 14, the new GPL syntax (via the Ggraph command) if you want
something very custom.. And SPSS has a built-in export to PowerPoint
method. Because the export happens from the Viewer, it would be done
using the automation methods, but these can be done by using the viewer
module methods in SPSS 14 as part of a BEGIN PROGRAM block in the
regular syntax stream.

Another choice would be to use OMS to save the charts you want via the
html format. This would give you a directory of image files, and you
could use a PowerPoint script to load all the files in the directory
onto slides. (You could just load the html file from OMS, but
PowerPoint would put everything on one slide, which doesn't make for
much of a presentation! You could do the same thing with the tables,
making each table a separate file, and then use your Ppt VBA code to
combine them.
aioe.cjb.net
combine them.
lance-news
2006-02-03 17:27:17 UTC
I have used perl and MS COM (component object models) integration to grab numbers
from WORD and import into XL and PPT graphs. Basically, COM objects allow one to
open and use an application from another application (i.e open PPT or XL from
SPSS and import numbers). For me at least this is very arcane and difficult
scripting to master.

If you had the time and inclination then you could probably use SAX Basic in SPSS
to do something similar. There are lots of SAX Basic scripts that use COM to interface
with XL. It is only a skip and a jump to PPT if you know the objects. Also, with
SPSS 14 using python is possible. I used perl primarily because of regular expression
searches that were necessary for what I was doing (and wasn't/am not familiar with python).

I can envision that you would also need OMS or XL to strip away unwanted numbers from
a frequency or means table before using in a PPT slide.

So, to integrate SPSS and PPT you could probably use (I say probably because I have
not directly done this myself)

1) SAX Basic, or
2) Python

Lance